What is sexual dysfunction in males?
Sexual dysfunction is any physical or psychological problem that prevents you or your partner from getting sexual satisfaction. Male sexual dysfunction is a common health problem affecting men of all ages, but is more common with increasing age. Treatment can often help men suffering from sexual dysfunction.
The main types of male sexual dysfunction are:
- Erectile dysfunction (difficulty getting/keeping an erection).
- Premature ejaculation (reaching orgasm too quickly).
- Delayed or inhibited ejaculation (reaching orgasm too slowly or not at all).
- Low libido (reduced interest in sex).
What causes sexual dysfunction in males?
Physical causes of overall sexual dysfunction may be:
- Low testosterone levels.
- Prescription drugs (antidepressants, high blood pressure medicine).
- Blood vessel disorders such as atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) and high blood pressure.
- Stroke or nerve damage from diabetes or surgery.
- Alcoholism and drug abuse.
- Psychological causes might include:
Concern about sexual performance.
- Marital or relationship problems.
- Depression, feelings of guilt.
- Effects of past sexual trauma.
- Work-related stress and anxiety.